24 In DIY

Super Simple Decorative Wooden Tray

How to make a super simple decorative wooden tray in just minutes!

Don’t you just love it, when you can ¨make¨a new to you decor item without spending any money?

Today is Int’l Bloggers Club day and our theme is ¨wood¨ ! We are all doing the same theme each month, but it’s always fun to see what the other ladies come up with too. On the bottom of this post you can find some more inspiration, but before that, let me show you my super simple decorative wooden tray that I made real quick this week without spending anything!

Last month we all shared silk/linen inspired projects. See more about it HERE.

wooden tray with plant northernfeeling.com

How To Make A Simple Decorative Wooden Tray

I made a bigger tray from an old frame a while back and you can read all about it HERE on my old blog KreativK. But now I wanted something a little smaller. This tray I had was just right.

Here in Spain, we don’t have a Dollarama or Dollar Tree, but similar little stores that sell all kinds of stuff just like your usual Dollar Store. I usually find what I am looking for, like this little tray. I bought it a while back for I believe 1 € or so, which I thought was a great price tag.

*Affiliate links used to show like or similar products.

What I have used:

small wooden tray

white glue or mod podge

paint brush

hot glue gun

scissors

white chalk paint if you want your tray to be white like mine

fabric of your choice

cotton rope

4 wooden beads

wooden tray how to instructions northernfeeling.com

Instructions:

1. My wooden tray was painted already with white chalk paint. I did that a while back, but I think a bare wooden one would look great too! If you want it white, then just dry brush some white chalk paint all over it. It dries quickly.

2. Measure your board and cut your fabric of choice accordingly. My fabric used to be a kitchen towel and I really like the design on it.

3. Brush some water on the board, then add a lot of glue, spreading it out evenly.

4. Add your fabric and brush over the fabric with water and glue until it is soaked.

5. While it dries you can actually keep on adding the rest to the tray already. Cut some thicker rope for the handles and tie a knot on each end of the rope.

6. Glue on the rope to each side of the tray using a hot glue gun.

7. Turn around and glue on the wooden beads underneath.

Please note, that this tray is a decorative tray, so don’t carry heavy items using the rope handles as they probably won’t hold up. I just added the rope for extra details.

wooden tray kitchen centerpiece northernfeeling.com

candle & succulent tray northernfeeling.com

succulent kitchen tray northernfeeling.com

It looks cute on the kitchen table, but also works really well on the coffee table in the living room!

wooden tray coffee table northernfeeling.com

super simple decorative wooden tray northernfeeling.com

Pin this for later!

super simple decorative wooden tray

Well, make sure to go see the other ladies’ ideas on wood! Thank you so much for visiting today, I appreciate it!!

Driftwood Fairy Scape by A Crafty Mix | Super Simple Decorative Wooden Tray by Northern Feeling | Old Door Idea Coat Rack by My Sweet Things | DIY Farmhouse Corbels For Cheap by Faeries & Fauna | Farmhouse Stamped Wooden Placemats by Raggedy Bits

If you’re a blogger & would like to join our Int’l Bloggers Club let us know!  We are currently looking for new members, so if you’re interested, please contact us! Thanks!!!

You Might Also Like

24 Comments

Naomie Moore
    20/05/2019 at 7:57 pm

Super cute, and perfect for spring and summer. Your instructions are perfect! Anyone can make this quickly with a minimum of effort. Great gift idea too. Thanks for sharing. 🌞

Michelle Leslie
    21/05/2019 at 6:56 am

Ooooooo I love this idea Katrin and I remember that gorgeous tea towel from when you made the wall hanging. It really is such an unusual print. I would never be able to use them to dry dishes, they’re way to pretty for that.

Katrin
      29/05/2019 at 7:11 am

Yes that teatowel! I love the way this turned out too, and repurposing tea towels!

Pili
    21/05/2019 at 8:11 am

That tray is adorable, the fabric and the handles you added make it unique and it looks great wherever you place it. These little things you get in stores are treasures

Sam - Raggedy Bits
    21/05/2019 at 8:21 am

Love this so much Katrin! It truly adds that special touch and a little height to your coffee table or dining table! Great project!

Katrin
      29/05/2019 at 7:11 am

Thanks so much Sam.

Marie
    21/05/2019 at 6:40 pm

Wow, you really added personality to this dollar store tray, Katrin! I love how the IKAT fabric appears to have changed once decoupaged. It looks more faded or muted and almost distressed looking now. LOVE it!

Katrin
      29/05/2019 at 7:12 am

It did get some personality, hey. And yes, that fabric is my favourite! Thanks Marie!

Mary
    22/05/2019 at 8:45 pm

Katrin I really love this simple idea. I always thought it was much harder to make a tray but you have shown us just how simple it is. especially with those beaded legs.

Katrin
      29/05/2019 at 7:12 am

It’s so easy to give something boring a bit of a makeover, hey??

Kim @Serving Up Southern
    23/05/2019 at 3:56 am

Hi Katrin!
    What a fabulous makeover for this dollar store tray! I love how the fabric took on an aged look after you decoupaged it. Thanks for sharing at Hoimestyle Gathering!

Katrin
      29/05/2019 at 7:13 am

Thanks so much Kim!

jenifer David
    23/05/2019 at 12:22 pm

Incredible ideas.Nice

gail
    25/05/2019 at 3:11 pm

Amazing upcyle of a small tray! The new look of the tray is beautiful. I love everything about it, the color-fabric-handles!

Thanks for sharing at our Talk of the Town. I’m featuring your project next week.

gail

ps pinning!

Katrin
      29/05/2019 at 7:13 am

Thanks so much for the feature Gail, I appreciate it!

Tiffany
    27/05/2019 at 1:23 am

This tray looks lovely, Katrin! I really like the fabric you picked out for it 🙂 I’m not sure what type of plant that is in the last picture, but it’s so pretty!

Katrin
      29/05/2019 at 7:13 am

Thanks so much Tiffany!! I don’t know what they’re called, I should, but I forgot!!

Julie Briones
    28/05/2019 at 9:58 pm

I love lining trays with fabric… and this one actually looks like you stenciled it! I have a tiny tray that just might need a similar ‘boost’. Hope to see you at Tuesday Turn About, today at 3pm PST, Katrin!

Katrin
      29/05/2019 at 7:14 am

Yes, it does, but this was way easier!! Thanks Julie!

Kippi
    29/05/2019 at 1:26 am

I love your tray and I think it would look great in my updated bathroom. Would you mind if I link over to this post about your tray?
    Happy Crafting,
    Kippi

Ps. Here is the link to the post…https://kippiathome.com/2019/05/20/moroccan-tile-stencil-design/

Katrin
      29/05/2019 at 7:14 am

Thanks so much Kippi, no, that would be great, no problem at all!

Naomi Shelton
    29/05/2019 at 4:51 am

Katrin, I love the way your tray turned out. I especially like the little bead “feet” on the bottom. I have one question: is the inside of the tray waterproof with just the glue coating or would you need to add some type of sealer?

Katrin
      29/05/2019 at 7:16 am

Hi Naomi, Thank you so much! I don’t think the tray is waterproof, although it has a view coats of glue on it, but I’d add a sealer to be sure!